Friday, October 28, 2011
Friday Fives- Fantasy Worlds
Paper Hangover asks the question What five (book or movie) worlds would you love to live in.
1. Hogwarts- OK seriously who doesn't hope for an acceptance letter every time they see an owl?
2. Oz- My parents used to let me stay up late and watch this movie when it was on TV. Everytime I heard tornado sirens I was full of excitement at the possibility that our house could be picked up and carried away in a twister to a magical land. I read the books as soon as I could check them out. I also enjoyed Wicked by Gregory Maguire and the musical Wicked. So yeah, Oz.
3. The Shire- I could totally hang out with hobbits. Minneapolis is full of little stucco Tudor style houses. The short houses and arched doorways make me think of the Shire. I've often dreamed of buying a "hobbit house".
An example of a Minneapolis "hobbit house"
4. Kiki Strike's New York- OK so Kiki Strike is like this totally kick-butt chick and with her troop of delinquent girl scouts they fight crime in the city. Ananka Fishbein looks out her apartment window and sees a little blonde girl sneaking into a tunnel. She does what any level headed 12 year old would do. She follows and finds a maze of tunnels under NYC. I love the idea of underground cities.
5. Speaking of underground cities I also loved the London Below of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. How much did I love it? So much that I cried at the end of the book because I was sad the adventure was over.