Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Tools of the trade- Note cards

One of my favorite tools is the 3 X 5 note card with a small file holder.

I learned this tip in a writing class I took a couple years ago.
I write tidbits about characters and plot on the cards.
The small index sized file holder is great for keeping the ideas organized. Some people might prefer a small recipe holder but I like these little file pouches because they are easy to take anywhere plus you can stock up on them in the dollar section at Target.
Each character gets their own section in the pocket file. Jot down different ideas about plot and subplots and keep those organized as well.

I love this tool for the beginning of the writing process when I'm getting tons of new ideas about all my characters.

What are some of your favorite tools for writing?

4 comments:

Alicia Gregoire said...

I have a little notecard holder for my scene work. For everything else, I use Evernote. I can jot down a note from my phone, work machine, or home and assign it a tag and everything. It's very convenient.

Lydia Kang said...

I've used note cards for my revision process. They were so necessary!

SaraToday said...

I remember nights in high school spent on the living room floor sorting 3x5 cards for report writing. Memories...

Anita said...

I used note cards once and they were so helpful. And, hey, this is a great time of year to pick some up, right? Thanks for the reminder!