Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lessons from Draft 3

A few weeks ago I sent out my current draft to my critique partners. I've been getting snippets of feedback trickling in and yesterday one of my critique partners and I sat down to talk about my wip. Here is what I know from talking with my critique partners.
1. The people who have read it so far actually care about and connect with my main character.
2. I have writing strengths and weaknesses.
3. There was humor in my book and serious parts in my wip and people got it.
4. Ideas for new scenes.
5. I have room to develop other characters.

Looking at my work I can see the flaws. I can see the areas that need work. But I'm also really excited. A couple years ago I made the decision to quit working two jobs and focus on my writing. I figured there would always be time for me find a second part time job later but that I really wanted to see if I could make it as a writer. Since I make my living in the arts having only one job has meant making some sacrifices. Knowing that my wip has legs (even if they are wobbly fawn-like legs right now) makes me feel like I made the right choice.

I'm excited to begin the revision process.

4 comments:

Andrea Mack said...

It's so exciting to have great ideas that you know with strengthen your story. Good luck with your next round of revisions.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's exciting - now go get 'em!

Meredith said...

Yay! You can do it! Ugh, I'm stuck in revisions right now, but it will all be worth it soon!

Julie Flanders said...

It's great to read how excited you are, makes me excited for you!! I'm sending you a round of applause!'

Best of luck with the next stage of revisions! :)