Monday, March 28, 2011

How to Make an Awesome Diorama

It's that time of year again. Time to break out the inspiration, glue gun, and sugar coated marshmallow candy to make a Peep diorama.
Since last year's post about MacPeep is still one of my most visited posts I figure I'm providing a resource to all those students out there who need to make dioramas for school. This year's diorama isn't based on a book or play because sometimes real life is actually better than fiction. This year's diorama is based on Princess Kay or the Milky Way. Princess K is the royalty of the Minnesota State Fair. There is a different Princess every day and each day that Princess gets her head carved in a huge block of butter.

Step 1
Pick a subject you are passionate about and something that makes a good scene. I Love the State Fair. Find and decorate a box large enough for your artistic vision. Decorate it with things like "seed art", photos of the fair and a milkshake booth.



Step 2 Make costumes and Props. One of the big things at the fair is goofy hats so I made some of my faves including a Little Farm Hands hat and some Oink Booth hats. I also had to make a food on a stick, mini donuts and buckets of cookies. Beg friends to raid their kid's toys in search of things like wagons.

State Fair Foods
Step 3
Put costumes and props on Peeps.

Step 4. Make sure the diorama shows a scene. For me it is Princess Peep.

Princess Peep and the Butter Princesses

Step 5. Arrange and glue Peeps into the scene. Take a step back and admire your hard work.


Step 6. Post photos and campaign for people to vote for the awesome diorama online at the Pioneer Press.

If State Fairs aren't your thing be sure to check out my friend and fellow Peep artist Sara. Her diorama is based on a short story by Harlan Ellison called "Repent Harlequin" said the Ticktockman. The story involves jelly beans. It was begging for a Peep diorama.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I guess if you can't BE princess kay you can dream up some great scenes. Maybe someday Carrie, its not too late. xxoo

Meredith said...

Too cute! I can't stand eating Peeps, but they sure are cute in a diorama!

Angela Ackerman said...

LOL, my kids are getting older, and Peeps now mean blowing them up in the microwave, or playing the Peep Game (who can stuff the most peeps in their mouth and say 'Peep!')

Lol

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Oh god, I can eat peeps like they are going out of style. they'd never make it into my diorama LOL!

Angela said...

I love your peep diorama! The only one I remember making was one of the solar system when I was in high school, or maybe it was middle.

I don't know. I like yours, though. Probably I'll make more when my kids get assigned to them for homework.

Amy said...

Your diorama gets my vote!! Can you tell me where you found the green bunny? I've been looking everywhere! Thanks!