Sunday, August 16, 2009

What I'm reading

I just finished the most amazing book. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.
It seems that even when I read books from the grown up section of the library I am still reading books where the main character is a child. Recently I read My Sister's Keeper and The Secret Life of Bees is another recent read that comes to mind.
This book follows that life of Oskar Schell as he comes to terms with his fathers death. His father died in 9/11. Mixed in are the stories and letters of his grandparents who lost everything when Dresden was bombed.
This book has been on my list for a long time but I don't buy a lot of books. This is due to the fact that my appetite for reading and books is more than I can both afford or have space for. In the book Oskar's great grandfather has a shed behind his house made out of books. So when a person pulls a book from the shelf it creates a space in the wall. This is what I would have to construct if I bought all the books I wanted to read.
Oskar is nine and he obviously has a lot of fears and he is such an honest character in how much he misses his dad. He goes on a search for a key that he found in his father's closet. Oskar is very scientific. He sets out to meet every person with the last name of Black in New York City and ask them about a key he found. He meets a lot of people on his journey and you get to hear their stories too.
There are also letters from his grandparents. His grandmother lives in a building next door. Oskar is the most important thing in her world. Through her letters you learn about her life of loss in Dresden and how she lost her family and all she had. She came to America to start new.
This was an amazing book and I would highly recommend it.

No comments: