Wednesday, January 04, 2012

RTW- Writer's Retreat

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. 


Describe your dream writing retreat. Where would you go? Who and what would you bring?






For a couple years I've wanted to go to Madeline Island School of the Arts.  It is located on Madeline Island, which is amazing.  They offer classes in writing, photography, quilting, and art.  I tried to go a couple years ago but they weren't quite up and running yet with their classes.  
I'm patiently waiting to find out what my schedule looks like after Aug. 20 so I can see if a fall trip to MISA would work out for me.  

I've also considered renting a writer's studio at The Loft.  So far I haven't been able to justify this expense since I already live by myself and don't have to worry about distractions that some writers worry about.  Other than the cats I really don't have a lot of other distractions.  Renting a studio at the Loft feels like it would be a way of committing to my writing and really setting aside a time and space to do it in. 








12 comments:

Jennifer Hoffine said...

I've heard of people renting a separate office, though you're right, that's usually writers with families...If I lived alone, I'd be more likely to look for a new place to live that had my ideal writing office in it.

Juliana said...

I had never heard about The Loft. it sounds great! If I wasn't a wife and a mother, I would love to go there too!

Mary Aalgaard said...

That sounds like a fabulous writer's retreat. You can compromise and take your writing to a coffee shop or some other place like a library or a park in the summer. Being at home is always a distraction.

Colin Smith said...

I suppose if you're paying for some place to write, you would feel guilty if you didn't use it for that purpose which, one hopes, would motivate. Interesting choices.

Meredith said...

Wow, that is a gorgeous photo! I definitely wouldn't mind writing there. :)

Crystal said...

I don't think living alone means you shouldn't be able to have an outside writing space. Sometimes, it's just being at home that is the distraction. It's easier to turn on the writing mind set if you have a dedicated place that you go to to write!

Unknown said...

That sounds wonderful. I just got home from a 2 week vacation and this RTW is making me itch to venture out again.

Jaime Morrow said...

That would be wonderful. I grew up right near Lake Superior but on the Canadian side and it's just beautiful. I miss it every day (I live across the country now). Great choice :)

Hannah said...

I hear you on the Loft. I love it but it's so expensive. I would probably rent a space if I actually used one or needed one. But I only live with one other person and he doesn't bother me when I'm writing...too much. Good luck making that final decision!

Tyler-Rose Counts said...

Hmm...a studio sounds really wonderful, if expensive. I think I would like one with nice big windows. :)

Alexis Bass said...

The Loft sounds like a great place for people who don't get alone time to write. Although even if you have a lot of time to write by yourself, it's nice to get out of your house to do it.

Jen Klein said...

I think my ideal writers' retreat is one I invent myself. I'd go with a handful of writer friends -- possibly only women -- and we'd stay in a large cabin. There would be enough bedrooms that no one would have to share, and enough bathrooms that no one would have to wait. We'd write during the day, maybe stopping to enjoy nature with a hike, and we'd share in the evenings. We'd make communal dinners, and there would be wine. Doesn't that sound divine?!