Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Fives- Contemporary YA faves



Paper Hangover asks the question What are your five favorite contemporary novels?

I love contemporary YA. I read plenty of fantasy and paranormal romance but when I pick up a contemporary YA it is like getting together with an old friend.

1. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen- I always feel like I have so much in common with characters in a Sarah Dessen novel.  This one reminded me of summers working at an ice cream store on the boardwalk.
Along for the Ride

2. The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler
The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things

3. The Duff
The Duff (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)

4. Gingerbread by Rachel Cohn- I realize these books have been out for a while now but I still love them and pretty much anything by Rachel Cohn.
Gingerbread (Cyd Charisse, #1)

5. Looking for Alaska by John Green
Looking for Alaska


10 comments:

Sarah said...

I need to read more contemporary. Of your picks, I've only read the John Green. Will have to check the others out.

Happy Friday!

Elodie said...

Wow that´s when I know I need to read more contemporary YA...the only one I read was "The Duff" and I enjoyed it :D
I have a few more on my TBR list thanks to you :-)

Crystal said...

I can't believe I forgot Looking for Alaska. That one wrecked me. Though the second half was not as good as the first, imho.

Along for the Ride was on someone else's list too. I have two of Dessen's on my list, so I bet I would love that one, too!

Colin Smith said...

LOOKING FOR ALASKA is on my desk waiting to be read. Soon. Very soon. :)

Alicia Gregoire said...

Great list! I really should read more contemporary.

Jennifer Hoffine said...

All great choices! Esp, The Earth, My Butt and Gingerbread...nice to see those "oldies" but goodies on there!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Those all look good.

Meredith said...

Oh my goodness, I love all of these! Especially Sarah Dessen's books. I reread all of them. :)

Christa Desir said...

Ooh...all good ones. The DUFF took me by surprise bc I was sort of skeptical at first, but I totally enjoyed it. Have you read Kody's latest SHUT OUT?

Anonymous said...

Love your list. LOOKING FOR ALASKA is a great book!