Thursday, January 05, 2012

My mom rocks

Yesterday was my birthday and I enjoyed a wonderful day with my mom.  

We went to see War Horse.  She confessed after seeing the movie that she'd seen it the week earlier but she still cried for the last 20 minutes of the movie and tearfully declared, "I think it was better than Secretariat."

If you are looking for inspiration on getting things done look no further than my mom.  She is committed to fitness and wanted to get her workout in. This isn't a new thing, she did a triathlon with me last year and wants to stay in shape for this year's triathlon.  I had to work in the evening so she was going to go to my gym and pay for a guest pass.  Parking is crazy at my gym at 6 p.m. so she went to my house and googled the location of the nearest YMCA (she's a member at the YMCA in Iowa so she can go to a YMCA for free).  She found her way there even though I'd gotten lost earlier that day trying to show her where it was.  I thought it was impressive that she went to a gym she'd never been to in a city that is not her own and got her work out in, no excuses. Go Mom.  What will you do to complete your goals today?    

I'm busy getting caught up and responding to birthday comments and blog comments.  I also signed up for  the Comment Challenge 2012 , a challenge to comment on 5 kid lit blogs a day for the next 21 days. 



13 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday, Carrie! Hope it was a great one. Your mom sounds awesome, btw!

EJ

Meredith said...

Wow, that's dedication! Your mom sounds awesome. So glad you had a great birthday!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Wow! Great challenges. Great committment. Great inspiration. I laughed when I read that your mom had already seen the movie, and still wept!
Happy Birthday.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Moms are the best! And your mom sounds tops! Mine passed away this year and I miss her every day.

Unknown said...

The Comment Challenge looks really fun--I'm giving it a shot. Thanks for sharing, and happy birthday!

DL Hammons said...

That's what I call commitment! I admire her determination and I'll try to mirror her fortitude in achieving my own new year resolutions!

Heather Kelly said...

Hi Carrie! Happy Birthday! Your mom rocks. I love that she's doing triathlons and staying in shape--very cool!

I heard great things about War Horse--I hope you enjoyed it! I'm celebrating my 12 year old's birthday today. I think it's challenging to have a birthday (especially as a kid) so close to the holidays!

I hope your birthday was special!

Kristin Rae said...

Hope you had a great birthday!! And wow, your mom sounds like quite the go-getter! That's awesome!

Stacy S. Jensen said...

Happy Belated birthday. When I hear stories like your mom, I hope my son is able to say things like that about me when he's an adult.

Perogyo said...

Happy belated birthday! I need someone like your mom around for inspiration!

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

Happy late bay, and yay for moms that rock!

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

That should have been bday, my auto correct is too eager.

Annie said...

Happy Birthday, Carrie! Your mom sounds amazing!