Friday, January 13, 2012

Book Recommendation- Little Blog on the Prairie



I just finished reading Little Blog on the Prairie by Cathleen Davitt Bell.

In this book the main character, Gen, finds herself at Frontier Camp with her family for the summer instead of spending the summer at soccer camp and the pool with her friends.

The camp puts families into an 1890's frontier life where they must learn how to farm, cook, do laundry, milk cows and raise chickens.

Gen leaves her iPod with the camp director but manages to sneak a cell phone which she uses to secretly text her friends back home.  

All these texts about life on the prairie are being turned into a blog by her friends called "Little Hell on the Prairie"

Fans of Little House on the Prairie books will enjoy this modern day take on prairie life.

A few years ago I got to work on the musical version of Little House on the Prairie.  There was an event in this book that totally reminded me of an event in that play (also in the books).

At the theater I often see people in costumes from a specific time period using cell phones and other modern day technology.  It is always pretty cool to see.  There was a scene in this book that totally reminded me of seeing actors using technology while in costume.

There are other kids at the camp including a goth girl in a blended family of blonde sporty types, the cute boy, and the camp directors' daughter, Nora.

Fans of Little House books and the show Frontier Life will love this book.  It is also the perfect book for the middle grade readers that can be hard to shop for.




16 comments:

Meredith said...

Aw, how cute! I love the Little House books so much, so I might have to check this one out. :)

Nicki Elson said...

I hadn't heard of this book before. I used to love Little House on the Prairie - but I always think how I'd have hated to live back then. Hmm, I think I'm relating to this character already. Thanks for the review.

Mary Aalgaard said...

I need to add that to my TBR pile. It would be funny to see someone like Scrooge texting. Ha ha.

Play off the Page

Beth @ More Than True said...

That looks like a cute book. I'll have to check it out!

Racquel Henry said...

It sounds so cute...and interesting! I used to love Little House on the Prairie. :)

Amy L V said...

How funny! Our family went on a wagon train vacation a few years ago (period dress, the whole thing) and I am laughing inside to imagine a girl hiding a cell phone in her bonnet. Thank you...I am going to find it for my daughters and see what they think! a.

The Pen and Ink Blogspot said...

I am putting this on my TBR. Thanks for the review.

Mrs. Silverstein said...

I have this one in my classroom--I'm always kind of surprised by how often kids pick it up. I thought it was really fun--but then I'm a big Little House fan.

Jackie Castle said...

I wanted to read this book. Have been looking for it at the local library, but haven't found it yet. Sounded like a fun read.

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

I hadn't heard of this yet. Sounds awesome-- thanks for putting it on my radar.

Jill Bergman said...

This sounds like such a fun book!

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Awww, I love the idea of this. I used to LOVE the Little House on the Prairie (books and show) so this sounds right up my alley!

JenFW said...

Though never a fan of the Little House books--probably because my sister loved them--I am a huge fan of the lifestyle. I will definitely check this out.

Thanks!

Caryl said...

What a fun idea for a book! Have you read Wendy McClure's The Wilder Life (nonfiction)? She re-reads the Little House books as an adult and visits the sites. And she's very funny!

Bill Kirk said...

Stopping by your blog during the Comment Challenge. Regretfully, I haven't read the Little House books, being a guy and all. But I watched the original TV show back in the day. Great stories.

Rebecca B said...

Oh, I loved Little House on the Prairie! I have to read this book. Thanks for sharing