Saturday, July 18, 2009

In my mailbox today

Like many writers there is always a little bit of hope when opening my mailbox. Especially when I am hoping to hear back from a magazine that they love my story or something.
Today I opened the mailbox and found the annoying advertising circular and a letter addressed to my cat. From the vet.
OK I love my cat and he lives a very good life and has a few fans. Last year when he was sick he got a get well card.
The letter inside was written to my cat. "It is time for your vaccination." "Please remind your owner to call and schedule your appointment."
Does the vet realize that my cat doesn't have thumbs which makes opening mail hard. I suppose he could use his teeth but then where would we be.
Does the vet know that my cat runs in terror if he thinks there might be a chance we will have to go there. If it had been up to the cat to remind me the letter from the vet would have gone the way of bad report cards. It would probably be lost under the doormat right now.
I think this attempt to be cute fails because every time I walk into to vet they try to extract the most money possible from me. When I took my cat there last fall when he was sick I suggested that they do a $65 urine test and they suggested a $250 test that tested everything but the urine. In the end my cat ended up having crystals and getting blocked up and the whole experience cost me $1500 because they wouldn't do a $65 test. When I brought him in for his 6 month check up they suggested I do this $250 test again. I think it is time to find a new vet as soon as this vaccination is finished.

No comments: