Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ

The other day a walk around the park proved to be a good break from writing. Observing some of the park goers also proved to be inspirational for a story. I came home from the park and wrote a rough draft for a short story.
One of my dream jobs in life would have been to come up with names for nail polish colors. I thought this would be the perfect job for me when I was in college and was wearing a lot of the Street Wear and Urban Decay lines. Colors I wore at the time were Blood, Gun Metal, and Envy.
I stopped wearing nail polish shortly out of college when I became a server. I worked at a couple places that were pretty strict about the uniform. Both places were a little pricier and nicer than just going to Applebee's or Perkins but they were not quite fine dining. Both places had fairly strict uniform codes including starched shirts and a certain color shoe. Both places had the same view on nail polish. Nails had to be kept neat. If nail polish was chipped that was considered Tacky and was not allowed. Both places would send people home if the uniform was not up to standard.
But I've been using nail polish a little more often lately and I find that I am still love the names of nail polish colors. Which is why I have been trying to remember to look for the OPI color Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ. I remembered to buy it yesterday while at Target.
I first found out about this color through Facebook quizzes since this is the OPI color that describes a couple friends. When I saw that there was a Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ I had to have it.
When my dad started going through the Jimmy Buffett phase of his midlife crisis he traded in his 26 foot sailboat for a 45 foot sailboat. The boat he bought belonged to Mrs. O'Leary's great great grandson. He even left us stationary with his letterhead on the boat. Inside the large O was a picture of a cow kicking over a lantern lest you forget why the O'Leary's are famous.
Sadly my dad traded the boat in for a motor home about 6 years ago when he began the Texas Hold 'em phase of his midlife crisis. But I still feel connected enough to Mrs. O'Leary and her cow that I needed to own the nail polish with her name on it.

No comments: