Monday, April 06, 2009

What I'm reading

In addition to trying to write I also try to read a lot. Since my interest is in writing for teens I tend to read a lot in the teen fiction genre. This weekend I read a book that has been out for a couple years now and has been on my to read list for a while and it just happened to be at the library that I stopped at to return my books.
From the moment I started reading Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher I was hooked. The main character gets a set of cassette tapes mailed to him with no return address. The tapes are from a girl named Hannah who is dead. Being on the tapes means that he is one of the reasons Hannah is dead.
From the moment I started reading I was pulled into the story. I think I was driven to find out how the main character falls into the story. I think this story really makes you think how you treat people. Maybe what each of the people on Hannah's list did was small but it all added up to make her feel like no one cared for her. Like when she needed a friend or a kind word the most they couldn't be found.
When I read this book besides being totally engrossed in the story it made me want to be a better writer. I feel like this book is so well written and it makes me return to my own writing wondering if I picked up something I wrote and this book which one would I keep reading. How do I make my writing the kind that can't be put down?

No comments: