Friday, September 30, 2011
Friday Fives- Banned Book Week
Paper Hangover asks the question What are you five favorite banned books?
1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This is one of my favorite books. I read it once a year.
2. The Awakening by Kate Chopin. I read this book in high school and I liked it. I read it again in college and I loved it.
3. The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler. I love the character Virginia and her struggles with her weight and growing up are realistic and relatable.
4. Are You There God? It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume. I love how Margaret deals with the question of religion in her life. I also love her struggles as she grows up.
5. The Giver by Lois Lowry This is another one of my favorites. I've read this one several times and I now I think I may need to read it again. I read a story about how caring for her aging parents inspired this book. Listen to the stories your grandparents and parents tell.
What are your favorite "banned" books?
Find a list of frequently challenged books here and celebrate your right to read what you want