Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Fives- Banned Book Week



Paper Hangover asks the question What are you five favorite banned books?

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  This is one of my favorite books.  I read it once a year.


2. The Awakening by Kate Chopin.  I read this book in high school and I liked it.  I read it again in college and I loved it.


3. The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler.  I love the character Virginia and her struggles with her weight and growing up are realistic and relatable.


4. Are You There God?  It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume.  I love how Margaret deals with the question of religion in her life.  I also love her struggles as she grows up.


5. The Giver by Lois Lowry  This is another one of my favorites.  I've read this one several times and I now I think I may need to read it again. I read a story about how caring for her aging parents inspired this book.  Listen to the stories your grandparents and parents tell.


What are your favorite "banned" books?
Find a list of frequently challenged books here and celebrate your right to read what you want

9 comments:

Amber Kallen-Monroe said...

GREAT choices! And The Earth, My Butt is written by my dear friend, Carolyn Mackler (friends since we were 4 years old) who just found out that her last book, Tangled, is now banned in Texas. I think being banned is awful as well as a weird sort of honor. You know your book MUST be pretty darned good to get banned!

Alicia Gregoire said...

Great list. The Giver was one of my choices as well!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Love your choices! I need to check out a couple of them. The "Big Butt" one looks great.

Racquel Henry said...

Love your list! I read To Kill A Mockingbird in high school. Terrible to think that parents want to deny the youth the privilege of reading such a good book.

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

I am getting chills as I read your list-- all exceptional books, and I'm so glad I've had the right to read them!

Colin Smith said...

I've not read The Giver, but my oldest daughter has. I believe she read it with her high school youth group at church, and they seemed to enjoy it.

Bailey Hammond said...

I love Gathering Blue, also by Lois Lowry. It's one of those books that makes me think.

Alison Miller said...

Every time I've seen Mackler's book this week, I kick myself for not having read it yet. Must fix that.

Great choices!

D.B. Smyth said...

Wow! Love the list but am surprised those books made it to the banned books list. *shakes head*