Thursday, February 04, 2010

Yesterday my Mom came to visit. I always joke with her about the amount of my brother's childhood things she's save (a whole bedroom) vs the amount of my childhood stuff she saved. But she is moving out of her old house which means that even my brother's childhood toys are no longer safe.
When they came to visit at Christmas my stepdad kept talking about finding a bunch of stuff I wrote when I was in middle school and high school. I really had no idea what he was talking about. The idea that there were some copies of things I wrote somewhere in my parents house made me a little nervous especially since I didn't know what he was talking about.
Fortunately he was not talking about the soap opera scripts that I used to write when I was bored in middle school.
This week when my mom came to visit she proudly brought me a copy of The Growl and two "literary magazines" from middle school with collected short stories, poems and artwork.
"See. You've been a writer for a long time," she said as she gave me evidence that, yes indeed I've been writing since I was a kid.
I do remember my time as editor of the news section of my high school paper because back then my dreams were to work at Sassy magazine.
This week I also printed out my first draft of my novel and I am going through that and making notes on things that need work. I've written a couple "novels" for NaNoWriMo in the past but never anything that I decided to revise in hopes of making it better so this is a first for me but I'm excited to see how it goes.

No comments: