Tuesday, March 24, 2009

stress and writing

Lately it seems that all the stress in the economy has stifled my creativity a little when it comes to writing. Instead of spending time writing I have been spending time worrying about how much I will be working in the next year and once again I have been taking any chance to work in addition to my normal full time job. These little jobs tend to take away from the time that I would usually set aside for writing.
I find it hard to write and set aside time for writing when I am thinking about what I should be doing to ensure that I continue to have a steady income stream. Should I find a part time job that I can work more at when I have time off from my full time job or should I pick up more work at my old job? The problem with working at my old job in addition to my full time job is that the work there is full time which means working 72 hours a week and driving 1 1/2 hours a day. It means leaving my house at 7:15 a.m. and not getting home until 11 p.m. This leaves me with no creative energy to write and then when I do come back to writing I feel like I have taken huge steps back.
This week I don't have a lot of other things going on so I will be able to get some writing done.
I feel like I still have deadlines for contests I want to enter and since I had been concentrating on submitting some things that I had written I feel like I need to get back to that.
I am looking forward to a half day writing class I am taking in April.
My writing group meets next week so hopefully that will get me back on track as well. I am working on a couple things including a story that I would like to send to a magazine for tween girls.

No comments: