Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Decisions, decisions

Last year I attended a conference here in Minnesota for children's writing. It was a lot of fun and I was really looking forward to attending again this year. Until I saw the brochure and saw that the price went up $100 from last year with no option to save money by only attending for one day of the conference.
So now I have decided to use my gift certificate for classes instead. I got so much out of the last class I took including a writing group that is made up of the members in the class. I would rather pay for another class and get to go to spend 6-12 weeks working on a story.
I recently read a book called Chapter by Chapter by Heather Sellers. In the book she talked about how in order to write a book you need to write. I have been trying to apply this to my life but the economic downturn has got me kind of worried which means that instead of writing I am doing things like baby sitting or picking up more hours at my second job. Then at the end of the week I realize that I have not gotten any writing done and that I haven't spent nearly as much time revising the things I have already written.
Writing is really something that needs to be done on a regular basis. I am finding that if I write everyday I am more ready when new ideas come. I am more perceptive to ideas for stories when I am writing on a regular basis. When I take time away from it I have a hard time getting back into the groove of writing. I end up spending time feeling guilty for not writing and thinking about all the things that took me away from my writing in the first place.

No comments: