Wednesday, April 17, 2013

RTW- Happy Poetry Month

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered.

This Week's Topic: April is National Poetry Month! Share your favorite poem(s) or poet.

Years ago, after I got out of college and then thought "Hey I want to be a writer when I grow up." I started with poetry. 

I really like the Dylan Thomas poem Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night. I'm sure I read it in college but I rediscovered it when it was used in the book Reached by Ally Condie. 

My great grandparents were Welsh so Welsh writers and poets interest me. In rediscovering our family tree my uncles met a cousin who is 90 years old named Dylun Thomas. There are pictures from a visit with Dylun standing next to a plaque talking about Dylan Thomas the poet. I think that Dylun likes that people do a double take when they hear his name.

This year for National Poetry Month I get to celebrate by working backstage on Nice Fish at the Guthrie Theater. Nice Fish was written by Mark Rylance and a Minnesota poet, Louis Jenkins. When I first watched a run thru I was amazed at how poetic the play sounded. 


5 comments:

Colin Smith said...

Poetry's never been my thing, possibly because I've never found poetry I connected with--unless it had a tune to it! :) I should probably find time to read more poetry, though. If nothing else, it's another approach to writing that can help me think about my work in a different way.

beck nicholas said...

Sounds like a fab way to spend the month. You mentioned my fave poem. It's rather excellent, huh?

Barbara Watson said...

A poetic play. I like the sound of that.

Mary Aalgaard said...

They did an amazing job of turning poetry into a play. It was a hoot!

Angela Ackerman said...

I am terrible at poetry, but my grandfather was a poet. I am so glad he got to see a book of poems published before he passed away.