Friday, November 04, 2011

Friday Fives- Inspiration



Paper Hangover asks the question The FIVE authors who inspire you, writing or otherwise.

1. Judy Blume- I've always been a Judy Blume fan.  I love her ability to write about real characters with real problems.

2. Beverly Cleary- I read the Ramona books when I was growing up and loved them.  The book that was really influential for me was Dear Mr. Henshaw.  I read this book when my parents were getting divorced and it made me feel like I wasn't alone.  That someone else had made it through the problem I was facing.

3. J. K. Rowling- I love the Harry Potter books and what these books have done for children's literature.  When I need a little inspiration I watch her Harvard commencement speech.


4. Laurie Halse Anderson- Her books are influential and amazing.  

5. Rachel Cohn- I'd just gotten out of college when I first saw Gingerbread in the bookstore.  The striped tights and awesome boots seemed to call to me and even though I was no longer a YA I bought the book. This book made me love YA and made me want to write YA.

5 comments:

Racquel Henry said...

I love Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary too! Their books were staples for me growing up. :)

Jaime Morrow said...

I think J.K. Rowling takes the prize today :) She's on my list too and probably just about everyone else's lol Great list!

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

Great choices. Fine inspiration.

Meredith said...

That was my commencement! J.K. Rowling nailed it--all the kids who wanted someone "more important" like a politician or an economist were blown away. And yay for Beverly Cleary! Ramona will always be one of my fave characters.

Alison Miller said...

Absolutely agree with all of these! I had a hard time narrowing down my choices.

Have a great weekend!