Friday, November 04, 2011
Friday Fives- Inspiration
Paper Hangover asks the question The FIVE authors who inspire you, writing or otherwise.
1. Judy Blume- I've always been a Judy Blume fan. I love her ability to write about real characters with real problems.
2. Beverly Cleary- I read the Ramona books when I was growing up and loved them. The book that was really influential for me was Dear Mr. Henshaw. I read this book when my parents were getting divorced and it made me feel like I wasn't alone. That someone else had made it through the problem I was facing.
3. J. K. Rowling- I love the Harry Potter books and what these books have done for children's literature. When I need a little inspiration I watch her Harvard commencement speech.
4. Laurie Halse Anderson- Her books are influential and amazing.
5. Rachel Cohn- I'd just gotten out of college when I first saw Gingerbread in the bookstore. The striped tights and awesome boots seemed to call to me and even though I was no longer a YA I bought the book. This book made me love YA and made me want to write YA.