Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Happy New Year

Last time I blogged was in November. One day I was happily working on my NaNoWriMo project the next thing I knew I was working on Christmas Carol. Craziness.
Needless to say with the unexpected change in my schedule in November I didn't finish my NaNo project but I did get a good start.

2013 brought a sort of rock bottom moment as far as my writing goes. I feel like I've been at this writing thing for a while but the only thing I have to show for it is drafts in various stages and rejection letters. I made the tough decision to stop working on a project. In addition I spent a lot of 2013 worried about having less work at my day job- really night and weekend job- and had to make choices that took me away from my writing in order to keep the bills paid.

2013 has seen a lot of changes in my writing groups. My PB critique group has not met for most of the year. I might need to reach out and find new critique partners. My MG/YA novel writing group has also changed a lot with two of the members going back to school.

I confess that the thing that kept me going was 12x12. Not only did I have a goal to write 12 picture book drafts but the opportunity to submit to a different agent each month was amazing. Learning about these agents and what they are looking for really helped me grow as a writer. The agents who were interested in nonfiction really inspired me to explore more pb biographies. I've been reading more pb biographies as well as researching subjects I find interesting and trying my hand at writing drafts of pb biographies.

I plan to sign up for 12x12 again this year.




No comments: