Wednesday, September 12, 2012

RTW- Writing in the digital age


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered.


What word processing program do you use to write you manuscript, and can you share one handy trick you've learned in that program that has helped you while you write?

I've been a Mac owner for the last five years so I use Word for Mac. 
Currently my favorite thing is the "find" feature. Of course I keep adding to the list of things I need to find- I just added the word felt to my list of things to search and find.

My dad, a lifelong PC user who became an Apple product user a couple years ago when he bought an iPhone, gave me his iPad when he upgraded. This has been a great tool for writing on the go. On the iPad I use Pages, which I'm still learning, but I love that I can open my Word documents in Pages on the iPad. So far I've been successful in using the iPad as a writing tool instead of a thing to watch Netflix on.

The Kindle- Did you know your Kindle has an email address? It does. When it's time to read a draft I usually send it to my Kindle. I make notes in a notebook as I read through but this really allows me to read it on the go and keep returning to the draft through the revision process because I can take it anywhere to read it. I know there are people who print out each draft but I find this way much more efficient, for me. 

What program do you use to write in? Any tips? 


4 comments:

Meredith said...

Wow, I didn't know that about the Kindle. I may have to get one. :)

Unknown said...

Count me among the ignorant when it comes to the Kindle eMail address. So cool! I've been using a small netbook computer to write on for years. Someday it will die, and I'll probably switch to my iPad when it does. Good to hear you're doing it, Carrie! :-D

Nickie said...

I'd heard that about the Kindle, but I haven't tried it out yet (I need to, though! That would certainly make it easier to do editing).

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

OK- you're blowing my mind here. I don't know what Pages is, and I knew about my kindle address but have never used it. Will try both out for some awesome ipad editing action.