Thursday, April 07, 2011

F is for Flaw

F is for Flaws.
Flaws. No one is perfect. No character is perfect either. The need flaws to make them real.
Flaws don't always have to be bad things. You don't have to take your perfect character and make them a shoplifter to make them flawed. Sometimes a good trait can go a little too far and become a flaw. A character who is independent can be too independent to the point where they don't ask for help. A character who is trusting can trust the wrong people.

F is also for Family. I love mine. They are very supportive of my writing. I'm grateful for their encouragement.
Your characters have family too. Even if you are writing a picture book or short story and the family never makes and appearance they are still there. How does that annoying little brother or that perfect older sister affect how your character behaves. What is your character's home life like? How do they fit into their family?

F is for Feel Better-
I'm not feeling very well today so I'm going to rest and relax and hope I can feel more like myself before a busy weekend.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Flaws are perhaps the most essential character element in writing fiction. It's the #1 thing you (as a writer) can give a character to make them more human and easier for the reader to relate to. That's probably because we have so many ourselves!

EJ

Anonymous said...

There's always a character in my stories who is very much like me. And I always try to make her perfect (because I'm not). And then I realize, gosh, that's boring. Weird. Cause in life, we do strive for perfection, don't we?
- andrea

Anita said...

Oh! I like the flaw thing! I was in a class once and a woman read aloud from her story. Her main character was beautiful, rich and nice. Everyone in the class hated the character.

Nicki Elson said...

Aw, I hope you feel better. Excellent point about how even good traits can become flaws if taken too far. Like on Survivor last night when stupid, stupid, STUPID Matt was far too trusting and honest and got himself voted right out! Grrrrr.

Jaydee Morgan said...

I love flawed characters - they're the most real. I hope you feel better soon!

Julie Flanders said...

So sorry you're not feeling well, hope you are feeling better soon.

I agree that flawed characters are the best, they are always my favorites, and the ones who stick with me.

RaShelle Workman said...

Hey Carrie - Sorry you aren't feeling well. Sending you cyber Chicken Noodle Soup.

Also, great post. Our characters, as in life, need flaws. It helps we, as readers connect. =D

Lindsay N. Currie said...

I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well. It's been really going around here.

Flaws. I love this post, partly because I love a flawed MC. Someone who is realistic, flaws and all. Great job Carrie!

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Good stuff on character flaws...sometimes it seems like authors throw in a few "silly" flaws to make the "perfect" protag seem more relateable. It's most effective if the flaw(s) stand/s in the way of the character getting what he/she wants the most.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Great "F" words! Thanks for following at Book Dreaming - I love making new blog friends! :-)

Stratoz said...

Great a-z! I like to tell my students to strive for imperfection. Have a great H.