Monday, May 07, 2012

Don't Rain On Our Parade

Yesterday was supposed to be the much anticipated May Day Parade in my neighborhood. The parade is put on by Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theater. It is a wonderful sight to see all the puppets and the parade tells a story. Each section has a different element to the story. The story is always something hopeful.

Sadly it was rescheduled for next weekend due to a rainy weekend including crazy storms overnight. Standing water isn't the best thing for this festival. I won't be able to attend next week because of work.

With my day suddenly free I had two options- celebrate the fact that I could leave my neighborhood by leaving my neighborhood or celebrate the suddenly free day by writing. (It is nearly impossible to leave the neighborhood during the parade because so many people come to the parade.) There were plays and author events galore yesterday but I chose to stay home and write and I'm glad I did because this happened on my street.

A May Day Don't Rain On Our Parade

Dragon bike

Smell the Flowers

Sloth




Pedal Dive Bar- I love this thing
Needless to say the day felt magical even though the official parade was cancelled. I worked on my revision and I now have a picture book idea for my May 12x12in 12.

What magical things have you seen because you decided to stay and write?

7 comments:

Meredith said...

Wow, that is an awesome parade! How fun!

Unknown said...

That looks like a complete trip! The costumes are great. Sloth FTW. : )

We're just the opposite down here in South Texas: We are BEGGING for any rain we can get, parade or no. San Antonio isn't normally a dry place, but we've been in a drought for two years going and it's really starting to hurt the wildlife.

I keep telling myself, "All it takes is one good hurricane season to change it all." Which is true, but that's what I said last year and it never happened.

Barbara Watson said...

I heard the parade was postponed but have never actually been to it--I should rectify that! And there is magic in staying home and getting down the notes, drafting, revising, or whatever needs to be done.

Jay Noel said...

Love the dragon bike!

Sloths freak me out, though...

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I like to see people celebrate May Day. Hmmm, thinking about magical...I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Mary Aalgaard said...

That's all incredible. Cool parade, plus writing ideas. You rock!

PS: I'll be at the Guthrie for two shows on Sat. I can't wait!!!

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

I can't believe I'm writing this-- but, wow I LOVE that SLOTH! It's beautiful. Good for you for using that time to write!