Wednesday, February 22, 2012

RTW- Black History Month

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. 



February is Black History Month and it's also the month of Valentine's Day. So let's show some writerly love by answering the following question: Who is your favorite African American author or fictional character?

One of my favorite African American authors is Toni Morrison.  I read The Bluest Eye in college and this book is one that stuck with me.  The story is about Pecola Breedlove, a seven year old who wishes to look like the blond haired, blue eyed images she sees everywhere.  

Even though this book was set in 1940 and I feel like we've made some progress I feel like it rings true today.  The blonde ringlet haired image on the tea cup in this book has been replaced by a blonde princesses and fairies. I often see kids in my neighborhood waiting for the bus with images of Tinkerbell and Cinderella on their backpacks and lunch boxes and I think of The Bluest Eye.

The Bluest Eye



7 comments:

The Busy Author said...

Interestingly, my daughter (7) IS a blonde haired blue-eyed princess, but she often asks for dolls from different cultures, as well as pirates, dinosaurs etc. She also has a penchant for Hello Kitty and skulls. She wants Tiana (the Princess and the Frog) to host a birthday party for her. Unfortunately the outfit that does these parties doesn't have a Tiana (there are few people of African descent in our city)

Unknown said...

I read The Bluest Eye in college and was bowled over by it. I think it's my favorite of Morrison's books.

Also, I wanted to compliment you on your blog template. I have the same one--great minds think alike!

stephanie kuehn said...

Ah, Toni Morrison is amazing. And yes, I agree that the whole Barbie and princess craze focuses on such a certain standard of beauty, and it can be overwhelming.

Colin Smith said...

My girls enjoy the princess and Barbie stuff, but I don't think they care too much what color their Barbie's skin is--they just like playing with dolls. :)

Meredith said...

I haven't read this one yet, but Beloved blew me away. She has such an immense talent--her writing is incredible.

Mary Aalgaard said...

I love Maya Angelou. For ya/mg I like Christopher Paul Curtis. And, we have come a ways, but it's still not ideal. We have to believe that young, blonde, and skinny isn't the only beautiful look.

Barbara Watson said...

Christopher Paul Curits. My kids and I have read all of his stuff. The way he mixes humor with the super serious is amazing. I'm looking forward to reading his newest, THE MIGHTY MISS MALONE.