Friday, May 15, 2009

What I'm reading

This week I read the book Miss Spitfire Reaching Helen Keller by Sarah Miller. I have to say it was one of those books that I had a hard time putting down.
The story is told from the perspective of Annie Sullivan and follows her first month of trying to teach Helen Keller. Through out the book there is some background on Annie Sullivan like her memories of the time she spent in the almshouse and her memories of losing her brother. I know that I have seen the Miracle Worker but reading about it I found myself turning the pages. I think the moment when Helen finally makes the connection of water and the finger spelling really means something is really a magical moment. Also reading about this bond that this student and teacher had was really amazing.

No comments: